USF Data File
  USS Ares Simulation Board image
USS Ares Simulation Board

USS Ares Posting Guidelines for the PBP-Specific Board

[Stardate ]

Login

QUICK POSTING REFERENCE LIST

DO:

► Use double brackets - {{X}}, [[X]], or ((X)) - to denote out-of-character (OOC) conversation. See below for OOC notation.
► Use correct grammar and punctuation. The Core allows for a limited window to amend posts and an even shorter window to delete them. See below for deletion notation.
► Use a novella style to entries. In essence, the full thread should read like a novel from start to finish.

DON’T:

► Overwhelm the thread with OOC comments. Entries must have more role-play then out-of-character conversation.
► Delete your entry after a player has already responded to it.
► Write in a way that is difficult to understand or follow. This means clear writing, with proper use of grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

Keeping posting order is important to play-by-post (PBP) role-playing etiquette. This especially holds true to large threads that are plot centric. The host staff may wish for the thread to move forward at a certain speed so that other players can develop their characters and the scene can progress. Slow repliers are warned that long delays may result in your character being skipped.

In large group threads, it is considered polite to keep replies short and succinct. It is not necessary for a character to reply or respond to everything presented.

One-on-one threads are recommended to reply in turn. Posting twice in the same thread can be confusing.

NOTE 201801.26: At this time, the hosting staff requests that crew members do not start a discussion threads and only reply to threads made readily available on the boards. Proper scenes in which crew members will be able to interact will be provided. Please do not post in threads marked *COMPLETED*.

POSTING STYLE

The USS Ares will be posting in a novella style. There are several ways this can be achieved and the four examples below are the ideal posting methods.

Quick Lines Example: These are roughly a 25-to-75 words response. A scene is not really painted, but these are enough for quick dialogue responses.

Miaka’s brows furrowed as the lights suddenly dimmed and a steady flash of red overwhelmed her vision. “Report!” she called out to the operations officer.

Multiple Line Example: These are roughly a 75-to-125 words response. A picture is quickly visualised, and there is hint sense of a character’s emotional state in addition to any response given.

The captain groaned softly as the lights on the bridge dimmed with a steady strobe of red dancing on the walls. The alarm was blaring in her ears. Miaka’s chin snapped to one side and she fought from clenching her teeth together with her irritation. “Someone shut off that damn alarm!” She waited for the computer to comply as she all but stormed to the tactical station. “Report!” she demanded.

Paragraph Example: These are roughly a 125-to-175 words response. The scene is painted for the reader, with a better understanding of the emotional state of the character in addition to the dialogue given.

Miaka lowered the PADD as the computer suddenly flared to life. Strobing red lights flashed in warning and the alarm blasted against the bridge walls. “What now?!” she growled under her breath. Her voice grew louder so that she could be heard over the clamouring of the officers around her. “Someone silence that damn alarm!” The order was barked, her jaw clenching with her irritation. Pushing to her feet, she moved swiftly from the command chair to the tactical station. There was a brief pause as her gaze moved over the glass surface of the console. She rolled her eyes as she glared at the ceiling. “Anderson to Engineering- I thought you told me you fixed the problem. Why is my ship suddenly screaming out red alert?”

Multiple Paragraph Example: These are roughly a 175-to-225 words response. NPC’s may be involved. For clarity, it would most likely be best to keep multiple paragraph responses limited to allow other characters to respond.

The lights dimmed and the steady flash of red nearly blinded her, but it was the alarm - blaringly shrill - that threatened to have her eyes twitching. “What now?!” she hissed under her breath. She could feel the pounding in her head mimicking the frequent clamouring over the speakers. “Someone silence that damn alarm!” There was more bite in her tone than she intended. Pushing to her feet, she quickly moved towards the tactical station, her gaze briefly meeting that of the officer who manned the console. “Report!”

“I- I don’t know, ma’am,” he stuttered. Ensign Yellowshirt’s hands shook as he pressed the quickly scrolling commands. The flashing lights remained, but the alarm no longer assaulted his eardrums. “I’m not reading anything on sensors.”

Her gaze moved over the glass surface of the surface. Her eyes rolled towards the ceiling, her jaw clenching to keep from snapping. “Anderson to Engineer,” she waited for the computer to chirp in acknowledgement of the communication. “I thought you told me you fixed the problem. Why is my ship suddenly screaming out a red alert?”

Recommend This Post: