|USF Data File|
Login Cancel Login
Perception Class Schematic
* Name: USS Independence
* Registry: NCC 81295-B
* Class: Perception Class (Re-designated after the final update of the bridge module was completed)
* Category: Advanced Heavy Explorer
* Length: 1,123 m.
* Width: 443 m.
* Height: 121 m.
* Decks: 26
* Mass: 3.205 million metric tons
* Cargo Capacity: 225,000 metric tons
* Officer Crew: 322
* Enlisted Crew: 1,650
* Total capacity: 4000 persons
* Normal Warp Cruising Speed: Warp 6
* Maximum Warp Speed: Warp 9.9975
* Construction Started: 2365
* Ship Completed: 2384
* Ship Launched: 2385
* Ship Refit: 2391
* Saucer: Expanded Main Infirmary with 5 attached labs and an Operating Room
* Battle Section: Secondary Infirmary (For overflow or in case of emergency separation)
* Shuttle bays:
* Two; main in saucer section, secondary in battle section
* Tractor beams emitters
* Two main
* Battle section
* One secondary
* Saucer Section
* Phasers: 14 Type XIII phaser banks - 85,000 terawatts
* 1 fore/1 aft multi-warhead torpedo tubes - 600 (Photon/Quantum) torpedoes
* 100 warheads with 4,075,000 km range
* 58.7 isotons force per warhead
* 2fore/2aft photon torpedo tubes - 300 torpedoes
* 150 warheads with 4,050,000km range
* 18.9 isotons force per warhead
* Transphasic Torpedoes:
* Yield: 525 isotons
* Warhead: Protomatter/Tecasite/Trilitheum reaction that's ignited by and reacted upon by antiprotons
* Shield capacity: 4,563,000 teraJuoles
* Auto frequency modulation system
* Reinforcement from the QSD allowing for quasi-multi-phasic shielding
* Quantum Slip Stream Drive, integrated with conventional Warp Drive
* Multi-phasing regenerative shielding
* Ablative hull armor
* This ship has been modified to include larger living facilities along with larger medical bays and a universal on board mineral refinery has also been developed and integrated into the Cargo Bay on Deck 17. The refinery is meant to facilitate primarily the refinement of Benomite crystals, which allow for Slipstream velocities. Side Note: Two types of benomite have been discovered; Benomite-A is a mostly stable substance allowing a (providing proper calculations are within acceptable parameters) beneficial reaction. Benomite-B shares similar properties to the of B-A, however it is much more unpredictable and slightly more powerful than B-A. The unpredictability makes B-B very hard to handle and utilize the spiking energy emitted by the more volatile of the two known forms.
* The refit for the Independence is designed with the idea of a ship being able to be mostly self-sufficient while on extended deep space missions. With Voyager as it's platform, the Independence has adapted some of their survival techniques for the mission at hand.
* Because the ship will frequently need to stop and search for possible sources of fuel or other supplies. The ship was also given several dozen Stealth Scouts, state of the art thanks to R&D back at San Francisco. The shuttles employ a unique alloy and hull design which combined with a modified power source and a redesigned sensor system make it practically invisible to any non-friendlies.
Deck, Major Features
1. Bridge, CO’s ready room, XO’s ready room, briefing room, bridge lounge, diplomatic conference room, transporter room 1, aid station deck 1, airlock.
2. Crew mess hall(expanded with the Mark II bridge module), lounges, VIP quarters.
3. Viewing lounge, docking ports, sensor support.
4. Science labs, crew quarters.
5. Science labs, crew quarters, main security office, brigs, shuttle flight ops.
6. Science labs, crew quarters, security, shuttle observation gallery, computer core.
7. Main Shuttle bay, shuttle craft hangar, astrometrics, computer core.
8. Shuttle craft maintenance, Worker bee storage, Main Sickbay, Med-Labs 1 & 2, transporter rooms 2 &3 , computer core.
9. Shuttle maintenance, travel pod storage, crew quarters, deuterium storage, computer core.
10. Ten-Forward Lounge, crew quarters, cargo, EPS systems, deuterium storage, deuterium injector.
11. Cargo, hydroponics, stellar cartography, deflector control. Holodecks 1 & 2 have now been permanently added.
12. Freight and cargo, arboretum, secondary shuttle ops.
13. Torpedo launcher, sensor systems, shuttlecraft systems.
14. Captain's yacht, battle bridge, EPS distribution, turbolift maintenance, freight and cargo.
15. Shuttlebay Two, shuttlecraft hangar, Main Engineering high bay, engineering support, dilithium/benamite crystal articulation frame, power transfer conduits, computer core.
16. Main Engineering (Under expansion), computer core, deflector systems, shuttlecraft maintenance, secondary sickbay, warp nacelle access.
17. Engineering support, crew quarters, computer core, transporter rooms 3-4, Benomite (Misc.) Mineral Refinery.
18. Engineering support, crew quarters, cargo bay.
19. Aft torpedo launcher, sensor systems, auxiliary deflector, targeting sensors.
20. Forward torpedo launcher, sensor systems, torpedo maintenance.
21. Antimatter stores, torpedo magazine, engineering crew lounges.
22. Antimatter stores, torpedo magazine.
23. Antimatter stores, tractor beam.
24. Antimatter stores, antimatter injector, antimatter generator.
The Sovereign Class project began when Starfleet wanted a new class of ship to replace the 10 year old Galaxy Class as the flagship of the Federation. The Sovereign is capable of very high warp speeds, in excess of warp 9.98, and is
extremely agile for a ship of its size.
The Sovereign Class ships are equipped with powerful phaser arrays and quantum torpedo launchers. They are also equipped by Starfleet's new double-redundant quick-charging shields. This new shielding system builds a back-buffer shield in addition to the primary shield. When sufficient damage is taken to the primary shield, the back buffer is phased through to replace the primary while it is recharged within the protection of the new primary. This new system consumes a good deal of energy, which is supplied by half a dozen fusion reactors arranged near the shield emitters.
The design of the ship is a combination of the many designs over the years in the history of Starfleet. The ship has the streamline design of the Excelsior Class, a similar saucer to that of the Intrepid Class, the appearance of the Galaxy Class.
The Perception Class is the immediate successor to the Sovereign Class of vessels and is considered to be more durable and more well equipped for extended mission profiles while holding a well of defensive and offensive capabilities comparable and exceeding it’s predecessor.
The Sovereign Class was commissioned into service in 2371.
The Perception Class was Commissioned into service in 2391.
The Perception Class is one of the fastest ships in Starfleet, with a maximum cruising speed of warp 9.9975. The new engines are designed to eliminate subspace distortion effects common on older starships.
Effectively the Independence is now in whole considered part of the Perception Class vessels. With all of the upgrades structurally and technologically speaking, it no longer resembles the previous class ship. With integrated buffering systems to maximize slip-stream stability and velocity vectors as well as a modified QSD/Standard-Warp Drive power core the ship has exceeded it’s original specification limits.
Quantum Slip Stream Drive:
Quantum slipstream drive operated by routing energy through the vessel's main deflector, which then focuses a quantum field, allowing the vessel to overcome the quantum barrier. In order to maintain the slipstream corridor, the phase variance of the quantum field has to be constantly adjusted and modulated by the computer.
Thanks to advancing the navigational array and creating specific subroutines to monitor and control the variance with little difficulty. Without the system in place the slipstream tunnel would collapse, violently throwing the ship back into normal space.
However, unlike ships that have come before her, the Independence has slipstream regulators built into her nacelles, this allows the ship to slow and exit into normal space in the event of catastrophic drive failure.
The Perception Class is equipped with one of the most sophisticated impulse engine designs. The new impulse drive makes the ship highly maneuverable, equaling that of a vessel one quarter its size. The impulse engines are located on the rear section of the saucer and glow red when online.
The thrusters are designed to give the ship additional maneuverability and the ability to navigate in confining areas such as Spacedock. The Sovereign Class is equipped with four thruster quads. These thrusters are located on the underside of the saucer and are colored yellow.One of the thruster quads can be seen in the top right corner of the picture to the right.
The Perception Class has two large shuttlebays: one at the rear of the saucer between the impulse engines and the second at the rear of the ship. These bays contain many shuttlecraft used for ship to planet transport, long range transport and exterior starship repair. The shuttlebays are large enough to accommodate a Federation Vega Class Scouts as well as other support craft. Each shuttlebay is built with shuttlecraft maintenance facilities directly under the shuttlebay deck.
The Perception Class is equipped with emergency escape pods designed to allow the crew to escape in the event of abandoning ship. The escape pods are equipped with thrusters designed to propel the pod away from the ship as quickly as possible in case of a warp core containment breech. They are located on the saucer section.
Captain's Yacht The Captain's Yacht is a shuttlecraft-like vessel that is docked at the bottom of the saucer. This vessel is capable of long range warp transportation, and has the capability to land on planets. In emergency cases the shuttle, once launched, will deploy several warp transponders that immediately engage at high velocity warp to fool enemy vessel sensors.
Weapon Systems - Perception Class
Phasers The Perception Class is armed with multiple Type XIII phaser banks capable of firing at multiple targets simultaneously. These phaser banks, located on the upper and lower saucer, and on the secondary hull, are the improved Type XII phasers featured on the Sovereign Class. The new Type XIII phasers has a shorter recharge time and can fire a longer sustained burst, giving each bank a greater combat effectiveness than a Type XII array. Greater power is granted from the QSD core, allowing for higher output limits. The limitations have yet to be fully tested for fear of effecting the power core negatively.
Quantum Torpedoes The Perception Class is armed with a heavy turret quantum torpedo launcher which is located at the bottom of the saucer just above the Captain's Yacht. This launcher is capable of firing up to 5 quantum torpedoes per second. A second quantum torpedo launcher is located just above the shuttle bay on the secondary hull, defending the rear of the ship.
Photon Torpedoes The Perception Class is also armed with photon torpedoes, with the launchers located above the main navigational deflector and directly under the shuttle bay on the secondary hull. These are capable of firing a full spread of up to 15 photon torpedoes.
Shields The Perception Class is equipped with the new double-redundant quick-charging shields. This new shielding system builds a back-buffer shield in addition to the primary shield. When sufficient damage is taken to the primary shield, the back buffer is phased through to replace the primary while it is recharged within the protection of the new primary. This new system consumes a good deal of energy, but allows the ship to be able to take more hits without being severely damaged. This system is powered by 6 fusion reactors arrayed near the shield emitters. The shield modulation frequencies are under the control of the ships computer system, which continually evaluates incoming weapons fire and automatically re-modulates the shields to give the most effective possible defense, increasing its effectiveness against both high energy tractor beams and phased polaron particles, weapons which are used by the Borg and the Dominion.
With advancing holographic technologies, specifically ones generated after the design of the Prometheus, have been implemented into the design of the Independence. The testbed of which includes a program named, Emery. He is specifically designed to offer support to all of the crew and passengers as well as being able to act as emergency maintenance. The integrated holographics allow for unhindered access throughout the shift which includes all maintenance hatch-ways and access ports. Emery fulfills his role as attache but is not limited to that role (diplomatically speaking), he has nearly full access to all systems but has the rank of a lower level commissioned officer (Ensign).
A special maintenance alcove has been designed and built for the specific hologram. This includes an independent data core, allowing him to be isolated from the main computer in case of catastrophic failure. There are several backups in place which allow the Attache to remain online and thus help the ship to be restored to working order. With upgraded systems, Emery is now able to transfer his program anywhere throughout the ship within milliseconds of beginning the transfer along with a low power mode which relegates his program to consume 10% of his standard operating power without losing complete functionality.
Disclaimer: Images and design are borrowed as well as used respectfully as additions to the USF Trek universe, thank you.